Thursday 13 October 2016

On Adulting | Tidying Up Social Media

Image Credit Kate La Via (via Pinterest)

Have you ever stalked yourself on social media? Yes, it sounds cringey, but also it shows you what you're actually posting and talking about. It lets you see what other people see, and when I say other people, really I mean potential employers.

At my part time job yesterday I took a CV from someone. Upon handing it to the managers, they then facebook stalked him to actually see what he's like. Although they were joking, they called it 'screening'. Social media today is the main way to actually find out about someone before you meet them. I definitely used it before all of my interviews to check out the people I'd be interviewing with!

Even if you aren't trying to get a job, it's still good to make sure that your social media isn't representing you in any bad light. Don't for example, complain about your job or your co-workers. Bad days, and bad weather, sure! But the fact that Dave just got promoted over you again, probably not. It sounds obvious, but you would be surprised by the amount of things we post online that we maybe should shy away from! 

Having a great day or found a really interesting article? Share away! If you are going to post something that will make people stop and think hang on, so that's what they're like, maybe don't post it. Swearing can also come across as quite abrasive, as well as politics and all that jazz. Essentially, just make sure you'd be happy with anyone and everyone reading what you're posting! 

*Note: I am not by any means an expert in these things. However I have done a lot of research and have been in touch closely with recruitment companies so am sharing my findings!

Have you checked out your social media?
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment