Tuesday 30 September 2014

The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion | Book Review


I realised the other day that I haven't actually posted a book review in a while! This year I've posted a review of every single book I've read, which when I was getting ready to move to the States reeeally slowed down. Thus the reviews also slowed down, which I really apologise for!

I was asked a lot of questions about this book when I was reading it, and it's actually quite difficult to explain briefly the storyline. Or it probably isn't, but I always seem to make a hash(brown) of it. 
Essentially, it is about an autistic man called Don who is looking for a partner which is best for him. He works with genetics and thus for him, it makes perfect sense that if you rule out all the people that a relationship would not work with to find the right one, then things could only go perfectly.
He devises a quiz in order to find this particular woman. (The quiz itself is contained in at the back of the book...I failed to be Don's partner, quite tragically). However he then meets Rosie, and although she is completely unsuitable, and there is nothing about her which would cause the relationship to work between her and Don, something still seems to be simmering there.

The main aspect of Don and Rosie's relationship is that Rosie wishes to find her biological father, and enlists the help of Don due to his genetics background. This is what the true Rosie Project is. However, I do not wish to give anything away, other than this is where the base of the story lies, in the hunt for Rosie's father. 

I really enjoyed this book. It was very different to anything I've read before, and there is in fact little that I have read which comes from the perspective of someone with autism. All that springs to mind is Flowers For Algernon, and god I hated that book. (Nothing against people with autism or anything at all, I simply just did not enjoy it). It was also a really refreshing take on relationships and people which is always welcome!
If you're looking for something a bit different, then definitely give this book a try! Also, you know you want to find out the relevance of the lobster on the cover!

Would you read The Rosie Project?
xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment